If you have a website, it is not unlikely that you are not interested in SEO. So, if you want your website to be successful, you should also follow all the updates on SEO. Besides, you should apply these updates to your SEO efforts as necessary. One of these updates is schema markup. This update has been around for a long time. However, only a few websites are implementing this update. Some of those who apply it are not able to apply it in the right way. Therefore, in this article, we will tell you about the schema markup update in detail. But first, let’s give a brief introduction to what schema markup is.
The schema data markup allows you to highlight the content you want to stand out in search results. The schema data markup commands search engines in this direction. As a result of this process, users see the content they want to be highlighted in the search results. All necessary commands for schema data markup are available on the schema.org website.
Schema Markup, In Detail
When you implement the correct strategy for schema markup, you will nurture the SEO value of your website. But for this, you first need to understand what schema markup is. Let’s explain this now. When a user performs a search query, the search engine ranks the most relevant results on the results page. The web pages listed on this results page have small, descriptive text below their titles. These descriptions help users find what they’re looking for more easily. So, you may edit these texts with website schema markup. Thus, users can see more descriptive results about your web page on the search engine results page. Then, they make sure that what they are looking for is your web page. The schema markup topic is similar to the rich snippets topic. So what can you add under the title of your webpage on the search results with schema markup?
- Some websites allow users to rate the websites. You may add these ratings to appear under the title of your web page on the search results page. Along with these ratings, how many users have rated your website will also appear here.
- Using schema markup, you can show how many people viewed your website in total.
- It is possible to show the name of your website with the schema markup in this section.
- Also, you may show which topic your web page is related to by using the schema markup. You can also show the author of the content on your web page in this section. You can also add the number of citations of this content on your web page to this section.
- In this section, you may add summary information about the subject of your web page.
What Are the Benefits of Using Schema Markup?
Schema markup is an effective SEO method. All SEO Checklists include schema SEO studies. Schema codes tell Google about your website. By schema coding, you can ensure that your content is in the 0 positions. In other words, thanks to schema coding, you can ensure that your content is included in rich results. That helps your website get more organic traffic. So, schema marking is an important factor that indirectly affects SEO. But, you should remember something while applying schema marking. If you want your web page to be included in rich results, your content must be suitable for user searches. So, schema codes alone are not enough for this. So let’s look at the benefits of schema markup if you have rich content.
- Schema markup offers alternatives to the users that make a search query.
- Thanks to schema codes, search engines better understand the content of your web page.
- Thanks to schema codes, search engines rank more relevant results to users on results pages.
- You may organize the appearance of your web page on the search engine results page to attract users.
- Having your webpage appearance attractive and relevant results on the results page increases organic traffic. Thus, the click-through rates of your web pages increase. It also lowers bounce rates. That contributes to SEO.
- It creates a perception of trust towards your website in users who make a search query.
- If your content is rich, schema markup may convince search engines that you have great things on your website.
- You may increase your user experience score by appealing to the user.
- Thanks to schema codes, your web page speaks to search engines in a language they understand. This way, search engines make your web page more visible.
What Are Google Schema Formats?
Google structured data works with some formats. These Google schemas formats collect the information contained on your web page. Search engines show this information to the users on the search results page. There are three types of formats that do all these works that we mentioned in our article. These are as follows:
This format is an HTML schema. It works using HTML tags. This format transfers the information you marked as structured data to search engines. In other words, you can add structured data to your HTML site in this way.
It works the same as the Microdata format. It is an HTML5 extension that connects structured data. RDFa is a more useful format if you’re going to do extra markup via Schema.org.
How to Add Google Schema to Your Website
Structured data is essential for search engines to get a more clear understanding of your website. That’s why you should add Google Schema to your website. Thus, you will get more successful results in SEO. You will also get higher view counts. So, do not forget to do the simple labeling process that you can do in these five steps.
- First, go to the Google Structured Data Helper tool. Select the structured data you want from this section. However, make sure that these choices are relevant to your website. If your website is unrelated to any of the options here, you can choose the articles option.
- Scroll down to the URL section at the bottom of this page. Enter the address of the web page of your website you want to apply the structured data you set here. If you have completed this process, click the start labeling button right next to it. That will take you to the next step.
- Here, you will select the appropriate categories for your structured data and start tagging. First, select your structured data and the category which you want to select. Then you may choose the category you want for this structured data from the available menu.
Do not forget to choose the appropriate or most relevant. We may list the category options that you will encounter as follows:
- Publication Date
- Article Section
- Article Body
- Total Score
After completing the category selection process for your structured data, click on the Create HTML button at the top right.
- After clicking the Create HTML button, you will see the JSON-LD-marked structured data made by Google. First, click on the JSON-LD box just above. Then, select Microdata from the options that appear. Now, you may copy the codes that will appear, or you may also download them.
- Here we come to the final step of the simple labeling process. Now all you have to do is place the resulting code in the <head> section of your website’s source code. After completing all these processes, click on the finish button in the upper right.
After completing these processes and clicking the finish button, Google will present you some certain instructions. You may want to read them.
Other Ways to Make Schema Markups
There are three different ways to make schema markup of your webpage. The first is to use the Google Structured Data Helper we mentioned above. That is the easiest way for you to do the schema markup process of your webpage. This method, which consists of five steps, is the method recommended by Google. Apart from this method, another method is to add schema markups manually. The final method of adding schema code is to use the best WordPress plugins for schema markup. Let’s talk about these methods now.
Also, you can use Dopinger’s user-friendly Schema Markup Generator to create schema markups regularly!
Adding Schema Markups Manually
You can perform microdata insertion operations with this method. But the only rule for this is that you have coding knowledge. In this method, you may use Google’s recommended JSON-LD format. Thus, you add your schema code markups as scripts. Select the data header you want to add via Schema.org. Now, open the source code of the relevant web page. Then, add the JSON-LD code between the two head tags here.
Adding Schema Codes With WordPress Plugins
You may add schema code by using the WordPress Rich Snippet plugin. This plugin is developed for schema code markups. Also, it is free. First, download and install this plugin on your WordPress CMT infrastructure. After this process, you can start microdata markings.
After installing the plugin, there are two sections where you can do the schema code marking. The first of these sections is the WordPress Editor section. The other section is the Configure Rich Snippets section at the bottom of your pages. Click on the box in this section. Then you may choose which data to mark in the headings that appear. Fill in the fields that appear at the end. Then, you may complete the schema markings by hitting the publish button. You can check the schema markups you have made with this method through the Google rich results test tool. There are also alternative WordPress plugins for schema code markups. These are as follows:
- WPSSO Schema JSON-LD Markup
- Rich Reviews
- Markup (JSON-LD) Structured in Schema.org
- WP SEO Structured Data Schema
Schema Markup, In Short
Schema markups are indirectly effective elements in SEO. It is also quite important for local business websites. They are also known as schema tags. Before you apply schema markup, you need to know what schema markup is. You should also know what schema markup does. That’s why, in this article, we first explain to you in detail what schema markup is. Then, we explained what schema markup does and its benefits. We also explained the schema formats in this article. We’ve covered all three ways you can do schema markup in detail. You may review schema markup examples to help you better understand schema markups. We have come to the end of our article in which we discussed in detail the schema markup. Always remember that schema markup is a must for SEO studies. We hope our article helped you with your SEO studies.