So far, you have given a link for your SEO work or reference. You may have given this link from a post or a page to another website. Or, you may have done it within your own website. While giving these links, you use the HTML rel attribute for SEO studies. Well, have you ever wondered what the HTML link rel attribute is? If your answer is yes, we will clarify this issue for you in the rest of this article. The clearest answer we can give to this question is as follows.
What Is Link Rel HTML?
The link relationship attribute is specified as link rel = value in the technical part of SEO. This feature is used to inform search engines of the relationship between pages that link to each other. This feature is very common to use.
Rel links are microformats. They are parameters that show the majority in the usage areas of HTML 4 and HTML 5. REL specifies how the link relates to the website. Search engine bots identify and read the links. While doing this, it pays great attention to the rel type. That is because they serve to transfer forward data about the link to the search engine spiders. For these reasons, you should use REL link types on your websites. Thus, you may make a significant contribution to your websites in terms of SEO. So, what are the REL link types?
What Are the HTML Rel Link Tags?
- Alternate REL link type indicates that the link is an alternate version of the current page. It specifies different versions of the page, such as print and translated pages.
- Appendix REL type indicates that the link is an attachment to the current page.
- Author REL indicates the author of the page.
- Bookmark REL indicates that the link is a bookmark related to the current page.
- Chapter type indicates that the link points to any section within the page series.
- Contents REL indicates that the link points to the source of the TOC of the page series.
- Copyright REL type indicates that the link points to the source containing the copyright information of the current page.
- Glossary REL indicates that the link points to a glossary of terms that describe the terms used on the current page.
- Help REL indicates that the link points to the help page for the current page. In other words, it specifies the help document.
Other Rel Tags
- Icon REL specifies the icon to represent the document.
- Index REL indicates that the link points to the index/directory of the page array.
- License REL specifies the copyright information of the document.
- The next REL type indicates that the link is the page after the current page.
- Prefetch REL specifies the target page to be cached.
- Prev REL type indicates that the link is the page before the current page.
- Search REL indicates that a document is a search tool.
- Section REL indicates that the link points to the main part of the current page.
- Start REL indicates that the link points to the first page in the page series.
- Link REL Stylesheet indicates that the link contains the style templates for the current page.
- Subsection REL indicates that the link points to the bottom of the current page.
- Shortcut icon REL indicates two things. It indicates that the link has an icon for the current page to be displayed in the browser window and in the favorites list.
- Nofollow link REL type indicates that the link has nothing to do with the current page. Or, it indicates that is a link that should not be followed.
When to Use HTML Rel Link Tags
You do not have to define each link on your website. So, you don’t always have to use Rel link tags. Let’s see when you should use Rel sponsored link tags, for example. You have to use this link tag for your paid hyperlinks or links to paid advertisements always. If you don’t use this tag where necessary, Google Search Quality Evaluators may flag your web pages. There is an important issue underlying all SEO studies. That is to help all search engines understand your website and its content.
FAQs About HTML Link Rel Attribute
CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets. CSS Rel determines how users view HTML elements. It specifies this for all media.
By using this, you can edit the look of your entire website by making changes to a single file. You may write an External CSS in any text editor. However, you should not include an HTML link tag in the External CSS file.
There are three ways to add a CSS HTML link. These are as follows:
The definition of a link tag is as follows. It describes the relationship between the current document and an external origin.
Rel attribute tags help Google spiders understand the value of all the links on your webpage. If you use these link tags correctly, it means that you categorize the links on your website correctly. So, Google understands your website more easily, which is a key principle of SEO.
HTML Link Rel Attribute, In Short
The HTML link rel feature provides SEO benefits to your web pages. This feature is included in the technical scope of SEO studies. Each web page contains a large number of links related to its content. The HTML link rel attribute defines the relationship between these links. To use this feature more effectively, you should first understand what this feature does. So, we tried to explain what the HTML link rel attribute is in this article. Besides that, there are a couple of dozen HTML Rel link tags. In this article, we also talked about what these tags are.
If you liked this article and want to find out more about HTML, you can check out our articles about it, for example: What Is HTML?